Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rant

I'm out of a job. Now you would think that unemployment would be the perfect time to maybe get some songwriting done, right? Wrong. Apparently, the time one lacks whilst slogging through successive workdays is not nearly as much an impediment to creativity as are the impending financial woes that could result from joblessness. So as I sit with my resume, and several unfinished songs before me, I decide--cathartically--to write in my little online journal. Why? I have no idea. I suppose I just wanted to feel what it was like to actually write something for a change; you know, to formulate thoughts, put them into words, and see if they make any sense. How am I doing? All the while, CNN is broadcasting perpetual coverage of the civil unrest in Egypt, and I have the volume turned down. Every now and then I turn it up and revel in the fact that I am witnessing the collective power of people to effect real change, whatever that change might be... Then, slowly, cynically, I realize that the end result will, in all likelihood, be some sort of compromise in which an opportunistic demagogue will be "elected" to power; one who is sympathetic to either pro-Israeli western interests, or to some branch of fundamentalist Islam. Either will ostensibly be in favor of some vague notion of democratic reforms, but will simply reinforce the path of least resistance; that is, the path that furthers the interests of the rich, powerful, and devout. The day-to-day lives of average Egyptians with modest aspirations probably won't improve... ok, I guess I'll try and write a song now.

1 comment:

  1. Please write. Please.
    Here are the ears to receive your sounds, right on the side of my head.
    I Am Undone is the first song of my day, and the last song of my night.
    To show me a way into myself.
    Wonder of wonders, I am not as hard and tough as I thought.

    ReplyDelete